taxrates logo   


How to Contact the IRS About a W-2


Call the IRS at (800) 829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. For a transcript of your W-2, you must provide the IRS with your name; social security number; address; and employer information, such as employer address and employment dates.


Visit your local IRS office. The IRS' Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) provide face-to-face tax help for inquiries that cannot be handled online or on the telephone. Your local TAC can respond to W-2 inquiries and might be able to help you prepare your tax return.


Use the appropriate forms to request your W-2. To request a free transcript of your W-2, complete Form 4506-T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return). Mail or fax the form to the address/number indicated on the instructions page of the form. For an actual copy of your W-2, complete Form 4506 (Request for Copy of Tax Return). Mail the form and your fee to the address indicated on the instructions page.

Tips and Warnings

  • Contact your employer regarding your missing (or incorrect) W-2 before calling the IRS.
  • The IRS does not respond to email-submitted tax inquiries.

  • Visitors Also Saw
  • Am I Required to File an Income Tax Return?
  • Income Tax Software for Business
  • Mutual Fund Liquidation Tips
  • How to Understand a Paystub
  • How to Write Off Bad Loans From Income Tax
  • How to Form an LLC for a Home Day Care
  • How to Complete an 1120 Form
  • Taxable Benefits of Social Security Withdrawal
  • What Is the Threshold for Federal Inheritance Estate Tax ?
  • The History of Federal Taxes

  • I. American Stores Tax Rates Search

    II. American Stores Shoping Guide