taxrates logo   


How to File for an Employer ID


Obtain a copy of the federal SS-4 Form Application of Employer Identification Number from the Internal Revenue Service (access the IRS Web site or call them directly).


Complete the form and mail it back to the IRS.


Call the IRS Entity Control office with the SS-4 Form in front of you if you need the number right away. The IRS agent will ask you to fax in the form and will issue you an EIN over the phone. You will then need to mail in the completed form later.

Tips and Warnings

  • The IRS will issue an EIN number over the phone only to an officer of your company.
  • Banks often require an EIN number to open a corporate account.

  • Visitors Also Saw
  • How Soon Can I Electronically File My Taxes?
  • Itemizing Vs. Standard Deduction
  • W-4 Advice
  • Tax Law Tips
  • How to Get Help With Your Taxes For Free
  • How to Estimate Depreciation Expense on a Tax Return
  • How to File for an Extension to File 1040
  • Help on Owed Local Taxes
  • Maryland Tax Refund Information
  • How to Understand Company Car Tax

  • I. American Stores Tax Rates Search

    II. American Stores Shoping Guide