taxrates logo   


How to Find a Copy of a Federal Tax Return


Read the instructions on the IRS website regarding obtaining copies of your income tax returns (see References section). Determine whether or not you need a full copy of your return with the documents you filed with it or whether you just need a transcript of your return.


Print the Request for Copy of Tax Return form you require---either the 4506 or the 4506-T. Fill out the form completely, and sign the bottom. If you are a joint filer, have your spouse sign the form before sending it to the IRS.


Locate the mailing address for residents of your state on the Request Form, and mail your request to the IRS. The IRS can take up to 60 days to mail copies of your tax returns to you.

Tips and Warnings

  • If you cannot wait 60 days for your return, call the IRS at 800-829-1040 to make a phone request for your return. Inquire about having your return faxed to you or to the financial institution, such as your bank or school, that needs a copy of your return.

  • Visitors Also Saw
  • How to Deduct an IRA on Taxes
  • Federal Tax Questions on Death Benefits
  • Can You Deduct Your Health Insurance Premiums When Filing Jointly?
  • How to Figure Tax on Mutual Fund Reinvestment
  • How to Provide Tax Advice
  • How to Calculate Mileage for Tax Purposes
  • How Can I File an Extension for My Indiana Taxes?
  • W-2 Form Substitutes
  • Free State Income Tax Programs
  • How to Claim Investment Loss on an IRS Form

  • I. American Stores Tax Rates Search

    II. American Stores Shoping Guide