taxrates logo   


How to Get a Copy of My 2008 W2 From Work


Contact the payroll or human resources department at your company and ask who you should speak to about getting a copy of your 2008 W2 form.


Submit a verbal or written request for the form. Companies are required by the IRS to keep employment records for at least four years.


Go directly to the IRS if the records you need go back further than four years. Request and fill out Form 4506. For a fee, the IRS will provide you with a copy of your 2008 tax return, plus the attachments. If you only need a free transcript of the information provided on the 2008 W2 form, fill out Form 4506-T. The transcript won't give you state or local tax information, however.


Send a certified letter to the company's last known address to request copies of your 2008 W2 forms if the business is defunct. In many cases, the mail will be forwarded to the business owner, who can help you obtain the information you need. If you have contact information for your past employer, you also can try calling him to request copies of your past employment records.


Be prepared to wait up to a week for the copy of your 2008 W2, depending on how large the company is. In many cases, W2 forms can be furnished almost immediately.

Tips and Warnings

  • If you need the W2 to resolve a Social Security matter, you can contact the Social Security Administration for a free copy of the document. The SSA can be reached by calling 1-800-772-1213.

  • Visitors Also Saw
  • Job Search Expense Tax Deductions
  • Definition of a Dependent for Taxes: Form 1040
  • Tax Reduction Ideas
  • How to Report Tax Evasion to the IRS
  • Rules on Who Must File Income Taxes With IRS
  • How to Remove an IRS Tax Lien
  • How to Calculate Tax on a Title License
  • How Much Federal Tax Should Be Withheld From My Paycheck?
  • About Doing Taxes
  • What Do I Need to File My Federal Taxes?

  • I. American Stores Tax Rates Search

    II. American Stores Shoping Guide