taxrates logo   


How to Obtain Past Year IRS Forms

Prepare to Obtain Past Year IRS Forms


Use an amended United States income-tax return (Form 1040X) instead of a past year tax form if you are correcting an error on a tax return that you have already filed. Form 1040X is not year specific. You can fill in any year for which you are correcting or amending a previously filed return.


Verify the exact tax forms, schedules and instructions you need for the specific filing years.


Visit the Adobe Acrobat download page to ensure you have an updated version of Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer (see Resources below). IRS forms are viewable and printable with Adobe Acrobat Reader version 3.01 or later, which requires about 30 MB of drive space and runs on DOS, Windows, Macintosh and Unix systems.

Obtain Past Year IRS Forms


Go to the IRS Prior Year Forms, Instructions and Publications webpage, and click on the year for which you need forms (see Resources below).


Select forms by scrolling down the list and right-clicking on the "Form" and "Instr" links for the forms, schedules and instructions you seek. Right-clicking will allow you to open, view and print forms in a new tab or window.


Print forms that you need, or fill them out on your screen first if the option is available for a particular form. When the fill-in option exists, you will see a fill-in prompt at the top of your screen. Even when that option exists, you may prefer to print out a blank form and fill it out offline.


Check current forms or the IRS website for updated contact information, such as where to file addresses. Past year forms that you obtain are not updated for address and telephone number changes.


To request past year forms offline, telephone the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for individuals or 1-800-829-4933 for businesses.

Tips and Warnings

  • Obtain taxpayer instructions, including income-tax rate schedules, for any year for which you intend to file or amend a return. Tax rates and laws fluctuate from year to year, but your failure to pay the correct amount may subject you to additional interest and penalties.

  • Visitors Also Saw
  • About Lottery Taxes
  • How to File for an Earned Income Credit
  • About Sales Tax
  • Iowa State & Local Income Tax Information
  • How Do I File an Amended Tax Return to Reflect Deferred Compensation?
  • How to EFile Your Federal Income Tax Return Free
  • What Is the Tax Law for Claiming Someone As a Dependent?
  • Tax Prep Advice
  • How to Find a CPA in North Carolina
  • How to Obtain U.S. Tax Returns

  • I. American Stores Tax Rates Search

    II. American Stores Shoping Guide