taxrates logo   


How to Report Unemployment Benefits When Filing Your Taxes


Obtain Form 1099-G. You should receive this form from your state unemployment agency. Form 1099-G includes the amount of unemployment you received and the amount of taxes, if any, were paid. If you don't receive it, contact the state or county agency responsible for processing your unemployment benefits.


Obtain the appropriate tax form. Form 1040, Form 1040A and Form 1040EZ are available for download on the IRS website. In addition, government offices and libraries usually provide paper versions.


Report unemployment benefits on your individual tax form. Unemployment benefits received should be listed on Line 19 of Form 1040. If you are using Form 1040A, enter the information on Line 13 and for Form 1040EZ the information should be reported on Line 3. However, for 2009, the first $2,400 of unemployment compensation is excluded from income and should be excluded from the amount reported on your tax return, according to the IRS.

Visitors Also Saw
  • Tax Season Tips
  • Taxation of Deferred Compensation
  • States in the USA That Don't Have State Income Tax
  • Texas Sales Tax Rules on Vehicles That Are Leased
  • Taxes: Schedule C Instructions
  • List of Federal Excise Taxes
  • List of What to Bring to an Accountant for Tax Preparation
  • How to Claim Foster Children on Taxes
  • First Time Home Buyer Tax Credit Questions
  • S Corp Tax-Saving Tips

  • I. American Stores Tax Rates Search

    II. American Stores Shoping Guide